Sunday, 17 August 2014

Girl crush





I’ve had a girl crush on Nicole Appleton for forever and I was sold right in to the All Saints attitude, swagger and her superwatt smile quicker than you can ‘Goodbye Liam Gallagher’ when they appeared on the scene all these years ago and made the Spice Girls look like they'd raided the dressing up box.  

I always thought she was far too good for Gallagher.  She’s class in a pair of trainers.  He is the pair of trainers…  I’m so glad she said ‘Never, ever’ to him.  Who would put up with that I ask?  

I heard All Saints playing a set on Chris Evans' show a few months ago and Paulo Nutini dropped in to do his unique brand of what I call ‘octogenarian reggae singer’ music.  I was hoping that Nicole and Paulo would emerge from BBC studios, arm in arm, skipping off into the superstar sunset but sadly, that match does not seem to have been made.  I think they’d be perfect.  If I fail as a PR and writer, I will most definitely be having a go at celebrity matchmaking.  Now there’s a programme ITV.

Anyway, I have always loved the All Saints style.  So much so that when I was carrying my growing bump around nearly 12 years ago (Oh my goodness am I that old? Is the bump that old?), I was doing so in a pair of trainers and Maharishi snopants with little vest.  



Hmm – I wonder where I got that look.  Yes – All Saints.  No ‘mummywear’ for me.  




No – I was rocking the All Saints look right up until day of hospital admission when I swapped my £300 Maharishis for a pair of men’s cargo pants from Gap, because that was the only pair of cargo pants that would fit.  I still laugh at the fact that I took a pair of size 10 jeans with me to wear the next day when I left hospital, with brand new baby and of course a pair of hair straighters so that I would leave hospital with baby looking fabulous.  As I stepped out of Queen Charlotte’s hospital in London, the story could not have been more different..!  Let’s just say the jeans remained in a bag for a few months and the hair straightners became the last thing on the planet I would even have time to look at!  

But anyway, back to my love of All Saints.  Not to be confused with the shop of course, although I do also love All Saints the shop, but also feel now and again when wearing a new purchase that I look a little more like someone from Star Wars than I might want to.



Anyway, really back to All Saints.  They just always look really cool, in great shape, with an understated look and a couple of statements going on but nothing too over the top. Usually on the trainer front. Quite often on the bling front.

Faultless really but if you’re over 30 (and certainly if you’re over 40 like these girls are), may I suggest that you make sure your hair is cut well, groomed, your make up is perfect, nails done and you’re looking good, otherwise in one of these outfits, you might like a crack whore.

For me, my ‘go to’ Nicole Appleton outfit is a pair of black skinnes, my black patent heels, a sheer black top I got in Top Shop 15 years ago (and it’s still my favourite), a black patent cuff bracelet which my beautiful friends Sally and Sharon gave me, little black patent clutch bag and a big, big smile!











Get your Nicole look here:

Zara Collarless Frock Coat - £79.99



LK Bennett Avona Clutch - £95

Tory Burch Skinny Leather Inlay Cuff - £112.15




Zara Varnish Effect Trousers - £35.99





Ladies Dark Side of the Moon T-shirt - £16.99, Sugarbullets.

And do you know what one of the best things about All Saints is?

They are proper women, being girls, without any hint of a duckface pout or poured into ridiculously revealing dress.

Girls in your 20s - take heed.  This is how it's done.  

We look good for us, not the men.

MC
xx




No comments:

Post a Comment